Machine learning is quickly becoming an integral part of the games industry and at Resolution we have really high ambitions for what we want to achieve within this field.
Are you excited about creating human-like bots for players to test their mettle against or find a reliable team-mate quickly? Are you passionate about empowering artists with generative content co-creation tools? How about the prospect of supercharging QA teams by automating game testing and game balancing? Or generating real-time avatar animation for our NPCs in VR/AR? Our games and production processes offer a virtually unlimited pool of rich and exciting ML problems to work on.
About the role
When working as a senior machine learning engineer at Resolution games you will be part of a small but growing ML team that successfully develops and ships machine learning products. In this role you will design, implement and evaluate machine learning solutions for specific game teams to solve exciting business problems. These include bot development for player-facing experiences, automating game testing, real-time animation generation for NPCs, content generation, and many other problems in our games, development, and operations.
In this senior role you will be expected to take ownership of ML projects and provide mentorship to more junior members of the team. You will also reflect on the societal impacts surrounding Resolution Games’ ML products and drive best practices in ML ethics throughout the development process.
What you'll do:
- Initial scoping, resource planning, goal-setting, and metric development for ML projects in collaboration with game teams. For example, planning a new project to build a 1v1 competitive bot for an upcoming game using reinforcement learning (RL).
- Working with game teams to successfully integrate ML into game codebases or production pipelines. For example, integrating deep RL frameworks like RLlib or Unity ML Agents into the game codebase.
- Overseeing and participating in the ML development lifecycle. This includes collecting and wrangling data; architecting, developing, and training ML models; and evaluating model behavior within game features.
- Creating and deploying best practice MLOps infrastructure like CI/CD for data, model, and evaluation pipelines; model and data versioning, centralized metrics tracking. For example, using MLFlow and DVC to version models and datasets.
- Keeping track of SOTA ML techniques that are relevant to potential products. For example, actively contributing to our ML reading group.
- Communicating the impact of ML projects to both technical and non-technical stakeholders. For example, delivering a GDC talk about our ML work.
- At least 3 years experience with common ML frameworks such as TensorFlow, PyTorch, Keras, Torch, Caffe, etc.
- Strong programming skills in Python and C#.
- Deep understanding of modern Machine Learning concepts.
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and communicate with engineering teams.
- Experience with deep learning and ML in applications relevant to our games. For example, bot training for players, automated game testing, asset/content generation, animation synthesis, etc.
Nice to have:
- Either an MS or PhD related to machine learning/a related discipline or deep demonstrated experience working on modern deep learning and ML techniques.
- Experience in reinforcement learning and/or imitation learning and/or Experience in generative models or ML for procedural content generation.
- Experience in resource-constrained/on-device/mobile ML solutions.
- Experience working with a game engine (e.g. Unity3D, Unreal Engine, GameMaker) and game development.
- Good understanding of MLOps practices, model qualities, metrics, tracking model performance in production.
- Experience with Perforce and Git.
- Experience working with VR and/or AR.
As a person we believe that you are a great communicator since you will be involved with a lot of the other departments at resolution games including senior stakeholders. To be successful and enjoy this role we also believe that you have a high level of autonomy. We believe that you have great self-leadership skills and that you have a strong interest in AR and VR technology.
Do not get discouraged if you do not meet all the requirements — we are always on the lookout for talented individuals and encourage you to apply if you feel the position is right for you.
Who we are
Resolution Games is a visual computing studio with a proven track record creating immersive gaming experiences for all. We believe that VR and AR aren’t just an add-on for gaming; they are the next logical steps for games. As players and game developers alike, we’ve always dreamed of this day - the day when we can be IN the games we love. That day is finally here, and we are putting all of our energy into making the most of it for all, whether it’s creating a positive experience for someone testing out VR for the first time to delivering a rich, in-depth multiplayer game that keeps enthusiasts hungry for more.
We are looking for someone who wants a unique opportunity and enjoys collaborating. Someone who wants to be a part of a team raising the bar and creating a new set of standards. Our colleagues have can-do attitudes who appreciate a small studio culture. Therefore, even though we have grown, we continue to work in small teams and experiment while tackling complex challenges. We value having every voice heard and seek out diversity, equity, and inclusion in everything we do. Last but not least, we want those of you who are not just skilled but also a great addition to the team. That is because we believe in team over the individual, a great mix of freedom with responsibility, and that people should always come before the process. P.S. Employee stock options are available.